Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Conversation with a bulgarian cabbie

One thing that has not changed about me since my childhood is my habit of getting late. Back in school days i used to catch the bus once, or if I am lucky, twice a week. On other days i had use a Rickshaw. in my 11th and 12th my very dear friend 'Piyush Singhania' can testify what a moron i was making him wait for me as i was getting ready. His bajaj scooters horn was like adrenaline to me. It used to increase my speed many folds. So today was nothing different. I rushed to the hotel reception and handed over the keys, asked them to call a cab and quickly gulped down a glass of orange juice for my breakfast.
One thing Particular about Bulgaria is there language. Very very few people speak English here. I mean it’s like If you know English you can get a veyr good Job here. You cannot expect a Cab driver to speak English. I had learnt this in the last 30 days of my stay here. But today when i boarded the Taxi the driver was staring at me. I gave him a cursory look and told him my destination was 'Kukush Street'. As the Taxi started moving i took out my Creative Mp3 player and started listening to 'Yeh Delhi hain mere yaar'.

To stike a conversation the Taxi Driver said... "Indian Songs??". I was sure my player was not loud Enough for him to be able to hear it and he was only guessing and i nodded yes. And he started. "India ... super"... " i know India"... " tukka India"... i smiled .. yes yes. He said "Suresh ... me chauffer"... for "3 years..." i was amazed. I thought talking to him would eb better than listening to songs. He continued ..." Indian movies... super"... “Suresh... brother ... ramesh .... Super...” and i was laughing. I understood that he might have worked for some Suresh as a chauffer for 3 years and now he knows something about india.

Bulgaria has very thin population of immigrants. Primarily because there is a big language barrier and secondly Its a developing country and people dont find it lucaritive enough to settle here. The Driver started making some strange gestures to me. he wsa like showing me some kind of a Trunk... an Elephant Trunk... and started saying... friend .. Friend... : I said "Haathi mera saathi".. and he statred laughing loudly... "yes yes ... Raj Kapoor".. i knew it was Rajesh Khanna but i skipped that part... Then the most funny thing happened. He said " bhen@#$%" .. i was shocked... and he gave a wicked smile... he said he knows swearing also in Indian.... I was laughing out loud on whoever this suresh guy was.

He explained in his sign language... "Dhanyawad", "Namaste" and "bhai".... I blue toothed him a few recent songs from my cellphone. I was a great trip trip to office after a long time and the driver surely deserved a handsome tip. :)

2 comments:

Localghost said...

Great..It was so funny :-p!

Even i came across few such incidents in Korea. Namaskar , phir milenge , etc etc.

One taxi cabbie went ahead to compare Indian women with Korean women. It was damn funny ! He compared almost everything :-p

Anonymous said...

Interesting read [:)]...
I have come across a lot of suc h incidents on my trip to Israel... wahan to taxi drivers are like big fans of India, bollywood and Raj Kapoor... once a taxi driver sang the whole 'ichakdaana ichakdaana' song... in fact i too didn't know the lyrics as well as he did...lol [:D]..